HIGH POINT – Wood and upholstery resource Intercon has re-entered the home office category as part of a strategy to attract a new segment of customers working and studying from home.
The company has been in the category in the past, but this is the first time in about eight years it has developed a major launch, with five new groups offering multiple desks and storage pieces.
The company developed the groups off of bestselling finishes and styles in bedroom and dining, offering retailers tried-and-true successes to build upon in the category.
“We did a lot of research and developed Intercon values in home office,” said Tony Ricci, vice president, sales. “We knew this category is going to be compelling among the players.”
In addition to 62- to 66-inch executive desks retailing from $699 to $999, the category will include writing desks, half ped desks, credenza hutch units, L-shaped configurations with corner units and lateral files. All desks have drop-down center drawers, while half-ped desks also offer built-in file storage.
In addition, some pieces can double as dining side pieces, combining the two categories as many people are setting up offices in little used formal dining rooms .
The groups include:
- Highland: A rustic traditional group made with pine solids and veneers in a Sandwash finish. It includes an executive desk, a half-ped desk, an apprentice desk with a pull-out top, a writing desk, a credenza hutch, a sideboard, a sliding door bookcase and lateral file, and a bunching bookcase.
- Foundry: A casual traditional group made with oak veneers in a wire-brushed Pewter finish. It includes an executive desk, a writing desk, a half-ped desk, a credenza hutch, a sliding door cabinet that can double as a buffet or sideboard, a lateral file cabinet and a bunching bookcase.
- Drake: A casual traditional group made with knotty oak veneers in a two-tone finish that includes an executive desk, a writing desk, a credenza hutch unit, a bookcase, and a bunching bookcase and a lateral file.
- Kona: A clean-lined two-tone group made with solid mango. It includes a modular desk, a corner unit, a half-ped desk, a sliding door cabinet that can double as a dining piece, a bunching bookcase, a modular credenza, a modular credenza hutch and a chair.
- San Mateo is a traditional group made with hardwood solids in three finishes: Tuscan, Rustic White and Gray. It has an executive desk, an executive leg desk, a bunching bookcase, two different writing desks, a credenza and a chair.
The new home office program and other introductions in bedroom, dining and occasional can be seen at this week’s High Point Market in the Intercon showroom at 449 S. Wrenn St.